Hello all, I know it has been some considerable time since my last post and although I have been busy with a number of projects – bit of a career change! I have still managed to do some sewing, though not quite to the same extent as previously. I am finally back to a routine which will allow me to sew and upkeep my blog more regularly It’s nice to be back.
Yesterday I was off to a wedding of a niece of mine and as late as last week I still had not a notion as to what I was going to wear. Then as always when panic strikes I headed to my pattern stash for inspiration and remembered this little beauty. I then remembered that I had some shot silk that I bought a few years ago when in Paris that I had been dying to use but couldn’t justify cutting up for less than something exceptional and – this pattern is it.
I did the usual toile/muslin and there were only a couple of alterations needed. First up the shoulder line was a bit too loose and I just narrowed it an inch on each side and re-jigged the darts a bit. I think on hindsight I would make the bodice a size smaller as this one was a bit roomier than I normally go for. That said the dress is so comfortable. I think this was due also to the lovely viscose lining I incorporated which stayed cool during the festivities. The shot silk was a good choice for this pattern as the fabric has a crisp hand which allowed for the pleating to be more sculptured without the need for any interfacing. Also as there is not much in the way of embellishment the shimmery nature of the shot silk lifted it out of the ordinary. I was very pleased with the way this turned out and it fitted the bill perfectly. Had I had more time I would like to have made a little pill- box hat with a veil to finish things off as is in the end I made do with a large corsage.
A word of caution the hemline is rather narrow and there are no vents, so on occasion there is a bit of hobbling required and getting on the bus at the end of the evening was worthy of a You Tube post.