Finally finished the skirt featured cut and ready to go in the previous post.
I have been trying to track down this type of stretch denim for some time as I remembered having a skirt in this fabric many years ago and it was the most comfy and versatile skirt ever! Once I finally found the fabric online at Croftmill as Lightweight stretch denim, (unfortunately sold out, however they have another similar). I was then on the lookout for a suitable pattern and after I had made the chino skirt, well, Kismet! I was glad that I had a chance to practice the topstitching on the chino skirt because with this fabric I wanted to use a contrast thread and there was no hiding place for any mistakes.
I could have carried the topstitching through to the back welt pockets and back and side seams, (the pattern didn’t call for it) as I have seen this on other denim skirts but I thought it could end up looking a bit too busy.
I left it plain, which I am happy with. I made the zip shorter and to add a bit of interest I used the cotton ditzy flower print left over from the previous featured Jasmine and Sorbetto blouses as pocket linings on the front and back pockets and in the inside waistband facing. The waistband seam at the zip is slightly off, but I can live with it.
I had enough of the stretch denim fabric left over to make one of my stalwart 1940′S Straight Skirts and I was so taken with the top-stitching on the other skirt I thought I would incorporate it into this to give a more relaxed feel to the normally traditional tailored skirt. Incorporating the centre front topstitching is an easy adjustment to the pattern, instead of cutting on the fold add on the seam allowance and cut two front pieces instead of the usual one. There is no lining on either skirts, so a quick and easy make.
back view with top-stitched back vent.
I love how the choice of fabric can alter the whole use and appearance of a garment.